The Book Bucket List - The Woman in Cabin 10

Book number two on the Book Bucket List brings us yet again across the pond to Europe. To change the mood from fluffy and aloof to mysterious nail biter I have chosen Ruth Ware's "The Woman in Cabin 10." I use the word chosen lightly because this book was actually handed to me. After looking at the cover of this book and reading the first page, I immediately handed it back and said "no thanks," I don't read scary books before bed. However my other option was a book about a love triangle, so murder mystery it is! All that being said I will say this was one I could not put down. Ruth Ware brings her reader on what is supposed to be the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise liner exploring the North Sea with a final destination of a viewing of the Northern Lights. The story opens with travel writer Lo Blacklock alone in her dark London flat awoken by the noise of an intruder. I instantly thought Lo is me every time I turn my lights off and hear a noise in my house. Her robber ends up locking her in her room after being spotted, removing the door handle from her bedroom door. Again, Ware has targeted a fear of mine, alone in the dark, strange man, strange noises, stuck up all night and forced to tell the police a story where there is no evidence.
This first chapter sets the mood for whats to come in the rest of the novel. Lo is sent on a career changing opportunity to review the Aurora luxury cruise liner for the travel magazine she works for. The way that Ware describes this cruise ship makes it easy to see why Lo didn't want to turn down this opportunity, the girl is getting paid to go on a luxury cruise, to see the northern lights and be pampered, um sign me up? Upon arrival on the cruise there are ten guest cabins and based off of the description I pictured a mini Titanic like setting for this, cold weather included in that. Lo immediately finds her way to her guest cabin in an attempt to mingle with the other guests who have been invited aboard and also freshen up after the previous nights anxiety ridden events. Lo has an encounter with a young female neighbor aboard the boat, never to be seen again, or so it seems. A few drinks and a loud splash later and this is where the trouble starts. Convinced that something has happened to the mystery girl in the cabin next door, Lo enlists the cruise liner security only to find that the Cabin manifest shows that room to have no been occupied by any guests. Throughout the novel Lo is haunted by clues and encounters that further reassure her fears about this girl and her strange disappearance. Accused of over drinking and still being startled about her apartment robbery the boat crew and guests think that Lo is hallucinating.
Ware takes the reader on a wild goose chase for a girl who may or may not exist, while also making you feel like you are going crazy. Each chapter in this book brings Lo's fears alive, while also making me feel as though I was on an episode of Bravo's Below Deck. Totally cliche however I will just go ahead and say this one is a real page turner and I also don't hate that Hollywood has decided to make this one into a movie!!

Comments